Tuesday was the first day of school. Malachi and Talia both have wonderful teachers and they had a great first day...despite some bus adventures for Malachi! Malachi's bus driver dropped him off at home, despite a note that instructed otherwise, and despite the fact that no one was home! Malachi said that he made sure "meow-me" was fine (Naomi our cat). He wasn't worried and it all got straightened out in the end. Talia says that the best thing about her first week of school is PE. Malachi's favorite thing was also PE "because we get to do bumper cars." I have been able to successfully pack lunches and snacks for four days in a row (yes, this was stressing me out!!).
This is our third week of eating pretty much all organic food and all homemade bread. No white flour. No white sugar. Making bread hasn't been nearly as big a deal as I thought it would be. Malachi and Talia are very good at kneading. I mean good at kneading as in they are actually helpful and not just cute.
So the lunchboxes this week included things like cut up tomatoes (we are loving the fresh tomatoes in tomato season!!), cut up cucumbers, snow peas, cherry tomatoes, unsweetened dried pineapple, apples, organic string cheese, ants on a log (too messy so I probably won't do that again), organic yogurt, peanut butter/honey sandwiches, bananas and even a salad on one day. I sent some bread with oil/balsamic vinegar one day for Talia (she loves this at home) but she said it was too messy.
We found a source for local honey, so we are using that in hopes that it helps with some of the allergies. Not sure how we could really tell, as I don't have any reliable outcome measures for allergy suffering...but hey, it's not expensive and it's good.
Oh yeah, Malachi's hair.
Brandon update -- he had a good week. He's feeling good and he was busy, busy, busy all week. He had an exam in his philosophy class, and in his calculus class. He said he did really well on both (I don't remember the actual college parlance he used). He's home for Labor Day weekend, hurrah, and he'll be busy all weekend doing all the laundry he brought home. Last night he showed me another great movie -- Stranger than Fiction. I recommend it. And speaking of good movies, if you haven't seen Whale Rider, you really should. Beautiful movie.
1 comment:
Alison, I admire your dedication! I am impressed that the kids like eating so well too. I would love to get your wheat bread recipe...
Post a Comment