Friday, October 2, 2009

Classics!


#1: Father and son campouts. Here's Malachi, caught by surprise. Classic picture, eh? I just crack up every time I see it. Apparently Ron had been trying to take Malachi's picture for most of the evening, and Malachi had been actively avoiding it. So Ron hid the camera under his arm and managed to get a quick flash picture in - Malachi was in stage one ("Agh! What?!") and hadn't moved on to stage two ("duck, hide, avoid the camera!"). At the campout they ate only meat and chips. I think at the last campout they only had meat. Men. Left to their own devices they'll end up...well, constipated at least. Classic.

#2 The Fair. We love the fair. This year we tried something completely different: deep fried pickles. Yes, you read that right. With ranch sauce. Talk about...well, you just can't really talk about it. It's a taste experience. They were pretty good, but I also don't think I'll be getting them next year. Maybe in two years...or three. Lots of fun things to eat at the fair. Italian stuffed rice balls, the classic pulled pork sandwich and lime rickey combo, Brandon's classic fair food: bread bowls of chowder, and fudge. This year we tried little mini ice cream cones with fudge in them. Just a little taste was enough sugar (for me at least). Here are the kids, skipping off to the rides! Seriously! They are often too yummy for me! Let's see...I had my elbow rubbed with eucalyptus oil (didn't help the pain), we saw magical mops being demonstrated (every year), we looked at spectacular needlepoint (wow!) and we ate potato pancakes while listening to country music as the sun was setting. I love to see the chickens and I think I could watch cow judging for about two full hours. Classic fair. The kids loved the rides...mostly. Here you can see Malachi demonstrating the proper facial expression for when you are NOT loving going on a ride. "Mom, I'm REALLY suffering here." We saw lots of people we know, and it was really fun to walk around and watch the kids run up and say a joyous hello to so many of their friends and teachers. Next to the poultry/swine/rabbit barn there was a rock climbing wall, and Talia said she was interested in trying it out. She's never climbed before, and look at her go! This video is of the middle of the climb. Sorry that the camera is sideways - I haven't figured out how to edit the playback so that it faces the right way. But you get the idea. It's windy - that's mainly what you hear, so you can just mute if you want. I love watching her grace and poise. Malachi continued his "gershmuckled" look at the next picture opportunity...but he did have a generally happy time! Really! Other photos of the fair are in the slideshow on the upper right, titled "Summer 2009", along with current fun pictures for the past six months or so.
We're happy! We love you all!

1 comment:

Pastfinder said...

How fun! Wish we were there!